Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Still Pondering Hope

For some reason, hope has been on my mind for quite some time.  The word, the idea, the subject has permeated my life in one way or another in recent months.  Honestly, I think it's because I have been in need of some.  When I typed it into the search bar on Bible Study Tools, it brought up a list of 180 Scriptures.  Yep, I read them all.  Some of them are very familiar, some not so familiar.  Because I need to keep this short,  I just want to share a couple of them here.  


Familiar:

Isaiah 40:31 "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Not so familiar:

Isaiah 49:23 "Kings will be your foster fathers, and their queens your nursing mothers. They will bow down before you with their faces to the ground; they will lick the dust at your feet. Then you will know that I am the Lord; those who hope in me will not be disappointed."


This is what Baker's Evangelical Dictionary says about hope:  "To trust in, wait for, look for, or desire something in someone; or to expect something beneficial in the future."


As I look at the last part of that definition, and look back at the two previous mentioned verses, I can't help but notice that those who hope in the Lord will... soar like eagles, run and not grow weary, walk and not be faint, and they will not be disappointed.  That's all sounding pretty beneficial to me.


Curious.  Do you have a favorite verse about hope?





No comments: