Saturday, August 15, 2009

Scripture Memorization

I had almost forgotten how important it is to memorize Scripture.

On December 28th, 2008, I was reading the Living Proof Ministries (Beth Moore's) blog and she invited her readers (Siestas) to join her in a year of Scripture Memorization. She said she wanted to have a Jesus year and couldn't think of a better way to do it. As soon as I read this invitation I knew it was something I needed and more importantly wanted to do. Joining other women across the country in memorizing Scripture has been very interesting and has offered an accountability factor to encourage me in this endeavor. The goal was (and is) to choose a Scripture to memorize on the 1st and 15th of each month. I am on track and it truly has been a blessing.

This has been a difficult year in my life, so the Scripture memorization has been that much more valuable. It is amazing what a verse can do to remind you of what God has placed on your heart, or a promise He has given. Recently, I found myself at a very low point emotionally and didn't even know how to pray, so I just started quoting the Scriptures I've learned so far this year. I didn't have to get a Bible out because it was right there in my mind. The power of God's Word truly is amazing. When we read in Hebrews 4:12 that "the word of God is living and active," we can not only believe it, but experience it. Quoting the Scripture didn't change my circumstances but it changed me.

No comments: